Client: Archdiocese of Westminster / Governors of St Anselm’s Catholic Primary School
Project value: £2.2M / Classroom extension £660k
Completion: June 2010
St Anselms Catholic Primary School was founded in 1932. The original school building was designed as a ‘fresh air school’ in an award winning modernist style. Numerous subsequent extensions of varying quality saw the original design largely disappear as the school expanded, first to a 1 form entry first and middle school and finally to its current 2 form entry primary school size. The result of piecemeal expansion over many years left the school with a shortage of space, undersized classrooms and poorly arranged accommodation, most notably with the school main entrance tucked away at the rear of the school.
In 2004 DHP started working with the school, initially overseeing urgent re roofing works and then developing a vision for the future in conjunction with the school and Diocese. In 2007 DHP obtained Planning Permission for the whole project on this very prominent Harrow-on-the-Hill site, which included a series of extensions, remodelling and refurbishment, which would see the buildings restored to a cohesive modern design. The proposals won overwhelming support from the parish, parents and local community, including the Conservation Officer.
In 2009 the school received a Primary Capital Programme funding award, which enabled phase 1 of the project to be undertaken in 2010. This first phase comprised extensions to provide new staffroom, main entrance and offices, enlarged classrooms and group teaching areas.