Client: Guildford Diocesan Board for Education / Governors of Surrey Hills C of E Primary School
Project value: £2M
Completion: March 2010
Surrey Hills Primary School was formed from the amalgamation of two established and thriving village first schools in Westcott and Abinger Common.
A review of education provision within the Dorking area had highlighted some anomalies in the existing first, junior and primary provision, which was causing transfer problems for pupils at some first schools and threatening their decline. The solution was to continue to provide a full primary education facility at Westcott whilst retaining the two village school sites for the younger pupils.
A complete remodelling of the existing Westcott buildings, demolition of some defective accommodation and construction of a brand new 1,000m² two-storey structure for the older pupils followed. This was completed with the existing first school in full operation via phases. The new building was officially opened on 20th May 2011 and is of a sympathetic modern design using traditional materials including brick and knapped flint to compliment the existing 1854 village school.